loons,chickadees,and books

Howdy,

For the past week we've been waking up to the sounds of chickadees and
titmice singing outside our bedroom window. The chickadees have a nest
built in the bird box outside our window. The titmice and bluebirds
appear to be arguing over the other box in the backyard. Meanwhile, a
bluebird nest is underway in another box on the border with our
neighbor's yard. Cardinals, robins, and Carolina Wrens are in full song
and are becoming more active at the feeders. I always enjoy the
White-throated Sparrows singing more this time of year, just before they
fly north. I wish they would stay!

Another bird I wish would stay are Common Loons! While in Charlotte for
the ACC Tournament, Joe and I stayed at a friends house overlooking Lake
Norman. I was delighted to see a pair of Common Loons close to the
shore! And, last night, as the sun was setting at Ebenezer Point on
Jordan Lake, we saw another loon. We're still enjoying our new scope,
allowing us to get better views of loons in the distance.

There were at least 3 Red-headed Woodpeckers at the Big Woods Road swamp
close to Jordan Lake last night. We found one Great Blue Heron nest,
but, I predict there are more further back that you can't see from the
road, since there were at least four herons flying around.

What a beautiful sight to look out the window to see a bright, yellow
Pine Warbler and a stunning male bluebird at the feeder!!

Happy spring birding! Karen Bearden
Raleigh, NC
chickadeebirders@earthlink.net