hoimg doves

Yesterday when I was in the PO, the man in front of me was mailing, in a
large priority mail specially designed container, a live bird!  It said Live
Bird all over it, but I was very surprised.  I asked if there was really a
bird in it,  and he said yes, he's just going to Beaufort to a
wedding--he'll fly home tomorrow evening.  I was astounded, having never
heard of that before, but the postal clerk says he mails them all the time
to be released at weddings and funerals and they fly right home.  The one
mishap was when one was released at a funeral to signify the deceased's
spirit rising to the heavens and a hawk snatched it right out of the sky in
front of everyone!  No one knew whether to laugh or cry.  Am I the only one
to not know about this practice?  How do 'we' feel about mailing birds?
Bruce Krucke
Yonges Island, SC
bkrucke@awod.com
http://www.toogoodoostudios.com