Re: goldfinch songfest

Hi all. I'd like to add an observation regarding goldfinches. The largest
March-April concentrations of goldfinches in this part of Raleigh are along
Crabtree Creek where they gather to feed on their favorite springtime food...the
seeds of elm trees. Last year a late freeze nipped the elms in the flowering
stage, few seeds were produced, and the goldfinches didn't show. I agree they
engage in some riotous singing during this time and I suspect there is some
early courtship going on, but goldfinches are in no particular hurry to pair off
and breed. I think its more likely we are witnessing large feeding aggregations
of goldfinches, many of whom are fattening on the ripening elm seeds before they
migrate to more northern climes. Its just a theory. Check for elms near where
you see all these goldfinches and let me know what you find. Thanks,  John
Connors @ NC Musuem of Natural Sciences.