Santee NWR-Bluff Unit

Today I flushed a female Boat-tailed Grackle from the reeds just past the
"pump house" at the Bluff Unit of Santee NWR.  The pump house is on the road
that runs between the lake and the large impoundment.  Whether she was
nesting or not I'll never know because there was a rather large alligator
sunning itself on the bank a few meters away from where the BTGR flushed,
and no matter how nice I asked the gator just wouldn't leave.  The BTGR flew
up to the top of a cypress tree on the other side of the road and remained
perched there until I left. I didn't want to disturb her too much if she was
nesting so I just went on my way.

Mike Turner
Columbia SC