Broad River WMA/Lynch's Woods 6 April 2002

I got a chuckle when I realized I wasn't the only one chasing Blue-headed
Vireos yesterday.  Robin hit the eastern part of the county; I headed west.
(thanks for the report, Robin - despite the bridge being out on Road #41, I
still plan to work what I can of Road #41 for NAMC) I just wanted to hear
Blue-headed Vireo singing. I really didn't have to go too far west to hear
them.  As I stepped outside to listen to the birds at the feeders yesterday
morning, there was a Blue-headed Vireo singing in the sweetgum tree beside
the porch.

Having achieved the day's objective before 7:00 am, I still set out for
Broad River.  Finding the Game Management Area land that I was to cross to
get into Broad River WMA already in use, I stayed only long enough to listen
to a rather talented Blue-headed Vireo singing and a Prairie Warbler singing
in the clearcut at my back as I stood on the railroad tracks.

I headed to Lynch's Woods in Newberry county.  I knew Lynch's Woods was full
of Blue-headed Vireos in winter.  Other than a few Yellow-rumped Warblers,
one a lovely male in almost complete breeding plumage including the "yellow
crown", Lynch's Woods were relatively quiet and the only birds of note were
Blue-headed Vireos.  I listened to several Blue-headed Vireos sing, as well
as many Ruby-crowned Kinglets with their surprisingly loud, musical warble
and one Golden-crowned Kinglet singing his thin sibilant squeaks.
Nonetheless, I added a county bird - House Sparrows at the Hardee's where I
stopped for coffee.

Non-avian sightings of interest (hit <delete> if you're a "I only read it
for the bird news" subscriber) included a nest of Flying Squirrels at
Lynch's Woods.  Unknowingly, I disturbed them and awakened several of the
squirrels.  But that meant I got to see one "fly".  They are neat little
creatures!

Donna Slyce Bailey
Winnsboro, SC

e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com

     "Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina"