Horry/Georgetown County Birding

I had the chance to do some birding today in Horry and Georgetown counties.
Several areas along Highway 701 from Conway to Georgetown were visited
including New Road, Port Harrelson and the sod farm at Bucksport.
Additionally, I stopped by Huntington Beach State Park during mid-day and
looked around our Myrtle Beach neighborhood later this evening.  I did have
six species that I had not seen yet this year.  (They're marked with the
"*".)  In all, an even 100 species were noted for the day.  The list is as
follows:

Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Bluebird
Bufflehead
Northern Cardinal
Carolina Chickadee
American Coot
Double-crested Cormorant
Brown-headed Cowbird
American Crow
Fish Crow
Common Ground-Dove
Mourning Dove
Rock Dove
Short-billed Dowitcher
Wood Duck
Dunlin
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
House Finch
Northern Flicker
Great Crested Flycatcher*
Northern Gannet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
American Goldfinch
Canada Goose
Boat-tailed Grackle
Common Grackle
Horned Grebe
Laughing Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Great Blue Heron
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Blue Jay
Dark-eyed Junco
American Kestrel
Killdeer
Eastern Kingbird*
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Swallow-tailed Kite*
Common Loon
Mallard
Northern Mockingbird
Osprey
Barred Owl
American Oystercatcher
Northern Parula
Brown Pelican
Black-bellied Plover
Piping Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Wilson's Plover
Clapper Rail
Sanderling
Least Sandpiper
Purple Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper
Loggerhead Shrike
Chipping Sparrow
House Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
European Starling
Barn Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Tree Swallow
Mute Swan
Chimney Swift*
Caspian Tern
Forster's Tern
Brown Thrasher
Tufted Titmouse
Eastern Towhee
Wild Turkey
Ruddy Turnstone
Red-eyed Vireo*
White-eyed Vireo
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Palm Warbler
Pine Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Cedar Waxwing
Whip-poor-will
Chuck-will's-widow*
Willet
Hairy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Red-headed Woodpecker
Carolina Wren
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Common Yellowthroat

Particularly exciting for me were the Swallow-tailed Kites.  They're one of
my favorites.  One individual was seen from the landing at Port Harrelson.
Three were seen foraging above a freshly plowed field between Highway 701
and the sod farm at Bucksport and two more were cruising around the
Yauhannah Bridge.

I love this stuff!

Ritch Lilly
Myrtle Beach, SC