Re: Tricks for Ticks?

Kris and all,

Go to the local sporting goods shop (where they sell hunting and fishing
gear) or perhaps farm supply, and purchase a can of a material called
Permanone. Barring these sources, you can order it from several mail
order houses. This is an aerosol insecticide spray containing a
pyrethroid called permethrin. You apply this material to your clothing
(while it is NOT on you!- Don't apply this material to bare skin; it
won't work applied that way and may cause minor irritation), and let it
dry. The permethrin bonds with the fibers of your clothing and will last
for several washings. It is a highly effective (probably the most
effective) tick repellant, and, used in this fashion, is extremely safe.
You may also want to use a DEET containing repellant (most mosquito
repellants contain DEET) on exposed skin, as well. You should also
consider tucking your pants legs in to your socks and your shirt tail
into pants. Wearing light-colored clothing also makes any ticks that do
fnd you easier to spot.

A little permethrin on your clothes is probably a much better idea than
a few drops of turpentine down your throat!

Take care,

Clyde Sorenson
NCSU Department of Entomology
Raleigh, NC