Prairie warblers at Mason Farm

Hi Folks,

I heard at least 2 prairie warblers at Mason Farm on Sun 3-6pm. They
were singing from behind marker 18 (where the Kentucky warbler was
seen last spring) in the scrub/regenerating woodland. Also heard
another singing from the back of the right field (if you follow the
path counter-clockwise) just before you reach marker 6. I remember a
posting last year commenting on the lack of prairies at Mason Farm
and lack of suitable habitat was suggested. Well, the habitat seems
to have improved enough this year to attract them!

Other things of note:

N. parulas singing,
C yellowthroats
lots of field sparrows feeding on the paths
YT warblers singing
NO ovenbirds heard!

Also spent a few hours at Eno, Fews Ford and saw/heard parulas, yt
warblers,  ovenbirds, prairie warblers (in the field at the bottom of
the park). Thought I also caught a snatch of B+W warbler, but could
be mistaken.

Eagerly awaiting the return of the indigos and blue grosbeaks!

--
Steve Perry

Receptor Biology Lab, Duke Uni Med Center, Durham, NC

stevep@receptor-biol.duke.edu