Early night for a vireo

I've seldom, if ever, had the fortune to observe a songbird go to roost,
socially roosting species excepted of course.  Early last evening I was
sitting on my deck when I noticed a Blue-headed Vireo appear in a nearby
maple tree.  It immediately moved to a position at the base of the
leaves at the tip of a long branch only about 25 feet from me and about
15 feet above the ground, and perched there.  The leaves kept me from
getting an ideal view of it but I assumed that it would soon move into a
more open position, so I watched.  And watched.  Probably 15 minutes
passed before I decided that I'd better start timing it and looked at my
watch.  6:26 PM.  I was still determined to wait it out.  But at 7 PM I
decided I had things to do and slipped in the door, only about 15 feet
from the bird, without disturbing it.  At 8 PM, sun down, it was still
there.  And as soon as there was enough light to see this morning I
confirmed that it had not budged.  I missed its departure but it was
between 6:37 and 6:46 AM.

While watching the vireo yesterday, I also at long last saw the first
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds of the year at my feeders, and my first year
and yard Indigo Bunting.  This morning while confirming the vireo's
departure, the first Wood Thrush of the year was singing.  And yesterday
was also the first day this year that I saw no Juncos in the yard.

--
Kent Fiala
near Chapel Hill, NC