wow...

hello y'all,
    wow...it's been a heckuva birdy weekend down here in these ol' SC swamps
now, y'all hear? saturday was a hoot hanging out with somadoze Wake
Auduboners at john gerwin's Swainson's Warbler study site just across the
Little Pee Dee River in Marion Cty. the SC birds were most obliging and made
a right fair showing, i thought. did i mention there were Swainson's
warblers in there? some of the Prothonotary w's might have to move. there's
just a wee bit of a crowd in that place.. Hooded, Am. Redstart, Worm-eating,
a Blue-winged (nice spotting, john connors!) WEVI, REVI, and some other
"dickey birds" like Swallow-tailed Kite and Wood Stork put in an appearance,
too.  ;-) Even a cpl of Ruby-throats goofed up and were detected. as one
jetted away, i think i heard him say something like "(expletive deleted,) i
came 30 miles up this freaking river to get away from that guy!" Chat,
Indigo Bunting and Prairie Warbler were noted near the parking area.
    today (sunday) i hooked up with another nc birding juggernaut (from up
Charlotte way) and we made our second annual assault on Santee Coastal
Reserve. plenty of bugs and some pretty sporty birds were the order of the
day. absolutely too easy close-up looks at singing Bachman's Sparrow were
had by all; RCWs, Wood Stork, Mottled Duck, Blue-winged Teal, Black-necked
Stilt, Prothonotary w's in a little altercation, NOPA, Common Yellowthroats
living up to their name, gnatcatchers galore, Summer Tanager, Orchard Oriole
in the plural and a Ruby-throat way up in a Tulip Poplar, among others. a
quick stop at Santee Delta yielded a few Indigo Bunting and a cpl of Blue
Grosbeak.
    not yet satiated with things feathered in nature for the day, i went by
one of my Ruby-throat study sites and accessorized a cpl of handfuls of them
before slipping back to dear ol' Conway to make sure my charges here did not
go to bed hungry tonight.
    making new and renewing old acquaintances, great birds, brilliant
weather (ya gotta luv 90º+ in April, y'all. it's never too hot to go birdin'
in the coastal plain)...wow, what a weekend!

Woohoo!

;-)

gary

Gary Phillips
Conway, SC
Sunset Zone 31
walela@sccoast.net
"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J. J. Audubon)