Spring birding surprises

     This morning on the golf course near my house, I heard and saw a
wood thrush singing.  It was about 20 feet up in a pine tree near a
thicket of understory bushes and trees.  This afternoon I looked out
back to see a "funny looking little brown job."  I studied it carefully,
consulted the NG and Sibley, and then studied the bird some more: female
indigo bunting--year bird, new yard bird.  A little later a catbird
showed up.
     Now for the best one of all.  For the third Monday in a row, I've
been visited by a r-t hummingbird.  Tuesdays through Sundays, nothing.
The first and the one today were males.  I thought the middle one was a
female but I confess to not checking closely.  Only on Mondays??

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu