Yellow Warbler!!!

Hey,

At 5:30 this afternoon I drove up my driveway and spotted
a yellow flash going across the backyard.  I jumped out of the truck with my binos, and low and behold, there was a beautiful Yellow Warbler in a thin shrub right behind one of my watering stations.  The bird landed briefly on the edge of the bath, then on the ground for a few seconds, and suddenly to the hardwoods.  I got about fifty feet away, and he stayed about one minute for a first look at this species since 1989.  And a backyard bird for the first time!!  Yes, I'm excited!  My warbler count is now quite impressive, with trips still scheduled over the next month.

Question:  My habitat is not condusive for the yellow one, and the time of day seemed strange.  Also the cold front was just arriving late in the afternoon, so any suggestions as to why the bird the bird picked my two acres by Falls Lake, NC?  Should I see it more?  Luck?

I wanted to also say that I got the Yellow-breasted Chat at Woodpecker Ridge at Falls Lake yesterday morning.  Thanks Brian!!!

YTD Warbler List:

Palm, Pine, Orange-crowned, Am. Redstart, Worm-eating, B/W,
Prothonotary, C. Yellowthroat, L. Waterthrush, N. Parula, YB Chat, Yellow, Prairie, Ovenbird, BT-Green, Yellow-throated, and Y. Rumped.

Brian K. Pendergraft
Raleigh (Falls Lake), NC
bkpbbird@bellsouth.net