Sandhill Crane near New Bern

Yesterday, Sunday Apr 28th, Bob Holmes verified a report of an adult
Sandhill Crane
on the Taberna Golf Course just east of New Bern.  Several area birders,
including myself, were able to see the bird yesterday, but this is the first
time that I have been able to get
to the computer to report it.  I have not heard anything about its presence
today.
It supposedly has been present for about a week.

If you need this bird, I would suggest phoning Roger & Myra Scott H-252
633-5851;
W-252 637-6604(Wild Birds Unlimited in New Bern).  The bird was in their
backyard
yesterday and they probably would know the latest on its possible
whereabouts.
Its usual hangouts have been a marsh area on #8, the #9 fairway and a pond
near #15.
The Scotts live at 130 Ticino Ct. and #8 & #9 are right out their backyard.

Directions to the Scotts: Take US 70 east of New Bern for about 3-4 miles.
The entrance
to the Taberna subdivision/golf course is on the right at a stoplight on 70
as you head east
and is clearly marked. After turning into Taberna proceed to a four-way
stop.  Go left
onto Taberna Dr. After .7 mi turn right onto Ticino Dr. at the end of Ticino
Dr. turn
left onto Ticino Ct.  The Scotts house is the one on the right at the cul de
sac clearly
labeled "130".

ONE WORD OF CAUTION:  PLEASE STAY OFF THE GOLF COURSE!  If the bird is
present you can easily
see it without getting near the course.  The transplants that dominate this
course are rather
territorial.

Wade Fuller
New Bern, NC