taping; fwd: Okracoke RFI

Hi Carolinabirders,

Below is an RFI from the Virginia listserv, somebody who is looking for
information about Okracoke. Please respond to Zelig88@aol.com... A post on
the Georgia listserv mentions there being a Clark's Nutcracker in Alabama!
Now THERE'S a lost bird...

Great to have scientific data, as opposed to anecdotal observations, on
the taping issue. I think the reasons we get so worked up about it are (1)
we can directly bond with the individual affected bird that's being
impacted by tape-playing birders, and (2) we can theoretically "save"
birds from tapes just by sending e-mails. Saving birds from the REAL
threats to their survival - habitat destruction and fragmentation and
exotic species - takes time, energy, and money; e-mails alone won't
accomplish much. And we generally never *see* the birds suffering from
these other problems; quite the opposite, we stop seeing them.

On Thu, 9 May 2002 Jchat99@aol.com wrote:

> Later that afternoon I attended the Durham Bulls baseball game.  I was
> seated in the grandstand when my pastor motioned me down to the walkway
> where he was standing. By his feet was a lost and slightly injured
> Ovenbird huddled against the brick wall.  As I tried to pick him up he
> flew weakly away.

My encounter with an Ovenbird today was less fortunate; it was lying dead
in the parking lot near a laundromat a block south of our house on Ninth
Street, apparently having flown into a big window. Sorry, museum folks,
the ants got to it before I did...

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose