RE: nesting (?) Chuck-will's-widow in mountains

Chuck-will's-widows are present in small numbers and singing during the
breeding season in the valley areas near Hot Springs, which is also in Madison
County, at lower elevations (1200-1350'). This probably represents extentions
of populations from the TN valley area to the west into the lower mts.up the
French Broad R. (a similar pattern seen in other birds such as Summer Tanager,
other verts and plants.) I have also heard breeding season Chucks near Murphy
in the extreme western part of the state, also at lower elevation, several
years ago.

Alan Smith
Associate Professor of Biology
Mars Hill College