Scissor-tailed flycatcher

Monroe, NC

This morning I watched the male ST fly to the top of the high tension
tower with nesting material ( about 8 AM).  He stayed there awhile then
flew down to the fence below the tower.  At  8:30 AM I saw the male fly
to the top of the tower again.  Did not see if he carried nesting
material.  At 9:30 AM I watched him sitting on the fence below the tower
by the drive.

My guess is that they are nesting (good news)  but the nest is located
in the cross bracing at the very top and will be hard to see (not good).

Other birds seen or heard on my walk around the farm included:

common yellowthroat (male & female)
white-eyed vireo
red-eyed vireo
indigo bunting
phoebe (nesting in an old shed)
eastern kingbird
great crested flycatcher
wood thrush
chimney swifts
oven bird

Anne Olsen

--
Anne L. Olsen, Ph.D.
Assistant Prof. of CIS

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus for Trellis]