Re: Ants in the bluebird box (Ric Carter)

Has anyone had any experience with fire ants harming their bluebirds?  We
have a bluebird trail of twenty three boxes, and have had good luck over
many years, with bluebirds, chickadees, titmice, bh nuthatches, and others.
 Sometime when we clean out the boxes, they are teeming with ants.  I think
they might be a clean-up crew, but I do have worries that the fire ants
living in the area might harm the baby birds.

We do try to rid the farmhouse yard of the fire ants, but there are several
mounds in our fields that are not "treated".

I hope that anyone sending Ric information about the ants will copy me also.

Lucille Lentz
Ellerbe, NC
ljl@etinternet.net