Jaegers and possible Eurasian Whimbrel at Cape Lookout, NC

Today, Jack Fennell, Tom Wade, and I saw over
15 jaegers flying northward around Cape Lookout point.
Most of the jaegers were not close, and went out around
the white water off the point.  At least some, and possibly
all, of the jaegers were Pomarines.

We also saw 1 Wilson's Storm-Petrel and 1 Sooty Shearwater.
We were told that there were several Wilson's and Sooties a few
days ago, during the brisk NE winds.

Near the old coast guard dock, we saw what was almost
certainly a Eurasian Whimbrel.  We first saw it overhead and
then watched it fly away.  Although lighting wasn't the best,
all of us agreed that it was patterned like a dowitcher, i.e.
distinct white upper rump.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC
jfuss@clis.com

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Cape Lookout Mail Server]