nesting brown thrashers

I too have noticed how protective nesting thrashers can be! My father lives on Lake Wateree in SC. Along with a colony of nesting purple martins and the rough-winged swallows nesting on his pontoon, he had a family of thrashers nesting in a bush outside the front door. Well, I love peeping into bird nests to admire the eggs or nestlings. Mama bird saw this blonde-headed intruder and proceeded to dive right over my head! All I felt was the brush of wings through my hair, but that was all the warning I needed! I quickly moved away, proclaiming what a great mother she was. I think I even heard her say, "hmmph!"
---
Leah Campbell
Blackstock, SC
leahcam@lycos.com

Outgrown your current e-mail service?
Get a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads and No Taglines with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.
http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus