Re: tanagers

Leah,

A few Scarlet Tanagers breed in the South Carolina Piedmont. There may be
some within a few miles of Blackstock, but they are scarse. In the South
Carolina Piedmont Scarlet Tanagers mostly breed in mature old-growth
hardwoods along rivers. You might find one along the Broad River in Sumter
National Forest in Chester County(Woods Ferry) or Union County (Broad River
Recreation Area), or along the Catawba River at Landsford Canal State
Historic Site, or along Flat Creek at 40 Acre Rock Heritage Preserve in
Lancaster County, or along the Broad River at Harbison State Forest in
Richland County. These birds are hard to find.

To be sure of finding Scarlet Tanagers you should head for the hills. Go to
the NC mountains (just about anywhere along the Blue Ridge Parkway). In SC
try any of the ususal mountain areas -- the Blue Wall Preserve near Landrum,
the Mountain Bridge Wilderness (Caesar's Head, Raven Cliff Falls, etc) in
northern Greenville County, Sassafras Mountain in Pickens County, or just
about anywhere in the mountains of Oconee County, SC. Scarlet Tanagers
outnumber Summer Tanagers above about 2000 feet in SC and western NC. In the
NC Piedmont Scarlet Tanagers are more numerous than in the SC Piedmont, but
there are still a lot more in the mountains.

Listen for the Scarlet Tanager's distinctive "chit-burr" call. The Summer
Tanager's call is something like "titicup". The songs are hard to tell
apart, especially for eager beginners.

During the migrations you can find both tanagers just about anywhere in SC.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com