RFI: mountain neotropical migrants, Durham to Chattanooga

Hi Carolinabirders,

In just over two weeks I'm going to drive from Durham to Chattanooga to
lead a daylong dragonfly workshop (slide show plus field trip) at the TN
state aquarium on Saturday July 20. I'm thinking about leaving a little
early - Thursday July 18, or maybe even Wednesday night after dinner - to
explore the mountains a bit. Alex Netherton already suggested a few bogs
to me for seeking out interesting plants and odonates.

Then it occurred to me that there are several birds that breed up there in
the mountains that I don't yet have on my state list, mostly warblers and
Empidonax flycatchers. The warblers are Cerulean and Golden-winged, plus
that one Mourning on Roan Mountain. The Empids are, well, all of them but
Acadian; the only non-Acadian Empid on my NC list is the Pacific-Slope...
I could also use Black-capped Chickadee, Veery, and Saw-whet Owl while I'm
up there too.

I already have Marcus Simpson's "Birds of the Blue Ridge Mountains". My
question/concern is whether I'll be a bit late for the breeding season.
Some folks have remarked to me that Cerulean Warblers start migrating even
before the end of July. How many of the above species will still be
singing this late in the summer? Still be in their breeding areas?

Of course, tips pointing me towards interesting habitats, like Alex' bogs,
with bugs, herps, plants, etc. that I can't find down in my usual Piedmont
haunts will also be greatly appreciated (like, say, one of those
Spruce-Fir Moss Spiders!). And, since I'll be driving pretty far already,
suggestions that lie close to the shortest route between Durham and
Chattanooga (whatever that is - I-40 to I-75 was recommended by Mapquest)
are most likely to be useful... Would love to join some local folks up
there if anyone's not busy July 19 or maybe 18!

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University