Least Terns in Craven Co, NC

I stopped by the Food Lion grocery store on highway
70 east of New Bern, NC (actually in James City-
just across the Trent River heading east of New Bern)
on the way home from work today just before sundown
and was happily surprised to see the sky overhead
literally full of Least Terns.  I tried to count,
but just finally had to guesstimate the total
at around 75+ birds-- it could have exceeded 100.

Least Terns have been known nesters on large flat
building roofs in the New Bern area for many years--
being first discovered on the roof of Twin Rivers
Mall (across from Walmart at the intersection of
Hwys 70 & 17).  They have been present at the
Food Lion mentioned above for several years.  You
can always see a few in flight overhead anytime
from late spring thru the summer, but this is by
far the most birds I have noticed together.  I don't
know if this is post-breeding dispersal or just the
results of a great nesting effort.  I'm hoping its
the later.

On another note, I have been wondering if the
"Wandering Albatross" someone had reported several
days ago on the Pea Island clipboard could have been
the Mag. Frigatebird that Susan Boyd discovered on Wed.
It was reported as sitting on a sand flat in one of
the ponds in Pea Is (I can't remember which one).
I can imagine someone not familiar with these birds
could think a large dark bird with a white head and
long, hooked-tipped bill might be somekind of albatross
if it was sitting perched on a sand bar.  Just a thought.

Good birding-

Wade Fuller
New Bern, NC