White-faced Ibis

Today at noon, Friday July 12, the Ibis was in the ditch in front of houses
9500-9600, Old Oregon Inlet Road, MP 19 1/2.  We found 3 or 4 Glossies in the
ditches south of there, MP 20-21.

The bird seems less wary than previously of the cars that pull onto the
grass.  He flew from the ditch to about 30 feet in front of our car.  We
could see the remnants of duckweed on his bill, just as the photo depicts
him! Then he went back to the ditch and we watched him probe and find several
worm-like critters.

He evidently likes the pickings because he has been in that series of ditches
for at least two weeks.

Pat Moore
Buxton NC