Re: substitute tripod

A friend of mine used a toy gun, taking off the barrel etc., and drilling a
hole in the wood stock, putting a bolt through. Might want to add a spacer
or something to the buttstock, as most toy guns are rather short. I use an
old .410 bolt action shotgun stock (the gun is old, and the safe doesn't
work any more, thus is retired). When I am through with the scope, I can put
the barrel back on, and it looks fine. The hole drilled for the mount screw
doesn't show (much). Old bolt action .410 shotguns (or .22 rifles) can be
gotten for a few bucks at many pawn shops, and the buttstock is usually long
enough for most adults. Make sure you have current ID and buy from a
reputable dealer.
Alex Netherton, the Appalachian Naturalist
alex@alexnetherton.com
Asheville, NC
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mountainbirding/