Broad-winged Hawk

Saw a soaring Broad-winged Hawk that made me wonder if this could have been
the second early migrant of this species that I have seen in about a week.
Although probably not, its behavior was not unlike that of the thousands I
have seen passing by Mahogany Rock and Bullhead Mtn. over the years. It
circled up and then took off in a southerly direction. Again, maybe and
probably likely, this was coincidence. If so, it is of course very early. I
can say that I haven't seen or heard Broadies in the area this summer or
since April or May. To the best of my knowledge, they are not a common
breeder in this area. Maybe others have better records of Broad-wingeds in
the Charlotte area that they could share.

Eric Harrold
Charlotte, NC