Curlew Sandpiper - Pea Island NWR, NC

Patricia and I were fortunate enough to be at North Pond this morning about
9am when Jeff Lewis spotted a gorgeous Curlew Sandpiper in the SW corner of
North Pond.  This guy(?) looked like he had just hopped off the breeding
grounds smack onto Pea Island.  There was little evidence of molt.  Just pure
brick-red beauty.  By far the best-looking one I've ever seen out there.

Unfortunately, a Turkey Vulture flew by and flushed the flock and we lost the
bird.  To the best of my knowledge, the it was not seen again today.  I'm
sure it's still hanging around out there somewhere, though.

Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC