Huntington Beach SP 7-23-02

Since I hadn't received the weekly Peachey Report from Huntington Beach
State Park in a while, I decided to head down that direction this evening to
make sure all was still well.  The areas birded included the causeway,
Sandpiper Pond, the beach from the north parking area to the jetty as well
as the jetty pond.  In all, 53 species were found.  The strangest bird seen
would have to be an unmistakable male Blackburnian Warbler in breeding
plumage.  While this may not seem unusual in other locales, the HBSP list
shows them to be uncommon in the spring and does not indicate a summer
record at all.  Being a male, I guess he was simply too stubborn to stop and
ask directions. ;-)  The list for the evening is as follows:

Red-winged Blackbird
Painted Bunting (Male)
Northern Cardinal
Carolina Chickadee