Re: American Birds CBC publication: some statistics

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Alan Johnston wrote:
> I did my own calculations regarding the total pages
> printed.  For the 101st report, 3,000 copies times 666
> pages comes to 1,998,000 total pages printed.  For the
> 102nd report, 28,000 copies times 112 pages comes to
> 3,136,000 pages.  This represents a fifty percent
> increase in the number of pages from last year.

Hmmm.  I thought the whole idea in making the smaller version
was to REDUCE costs.  Looks to me like they might have greatly
INCREASED costs.  A 112-page book might be somewhat cheaper to
produce (and mail) than the big format, but when you produce
and send out 9 times as many....  Not to mention that they
lost the approximately $9000 previously paid by those 1000
individuals that ordered the full results (minus the compilers
who get free copies for their trouble).

Dean Edwards
compiler, Knoxville, TN CBC and recipient of 3 copies of the
 "results"