Jordan Lake mudflats are still productive

Carolinabirders,

The Jordan Lake mud flats were still productive on Sunday morning, July 28,
2002.  Lee van Malssen and I hiked in from the 751 bridge and soon met
Brian Pendergraft, Matt Chytka and his son Jason.  We found good birds, the
best by far were the Wood Stork and a Black Tern still in breeding plumage
(thanks Matt).  We also got instructive looks at Lesser Yellowlegs and
Stilt Sandpipers side-by-side.  Listed below are birds either seen or heard.

Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron, many, many
Great Egret
Little Blue Heron, juvenile
Wood Stork
Mallard
Bald Eagle, juvenile
Wild Turkey, at least 6
Killdeer
Lesser Yellowlegs
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper
Dowitcher species (Short-billed?)
Black Tern, breeding plumage, beautiful
Mourning Dove
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Red-headed Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Acadian Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
Fish Crow
Barn Swallow
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Chickadee
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Summer Tanager
Indigo Bunting
American Goldfinch

Not a bad trip and much closer than Sunset Beach and Twin Lakes!

Rick Payne
Durham, NC

Rick Payne
Durham, NC