(Fwd) NC coastal birds

[This message didn't go through automatically because it was originally
forwarded as an attachment. - CWC]

From: Fitzbew@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 09:14:01 EDT
Subject: Fwd: please forward
To: carolinabirds@duke.edu

Nell Moore asked me to forward this to Carolinabirds.

Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC

From: PTEARN@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 22:01:59 EDT
Subject: please forward
To: Fitzbew@aol.com

Carolinabirders,

I managed to find my way from the TN Cumberland Mts back to the NC coast
recently. I needed a coastal bird "fix" really bad.  Sorry this is late,
but still wanted to post it.
On July 1st Jim and Laura O'Donnell and I had a very unusual high Summer
count of (58+)  RUDDY DUCKS at the Jacksonville Water Treatment Plant
near Richlands.. There was also an Am. Coot present.

July 2nd at New River Inlet in Onslow County I counted 11 WILSON'S
PLOVERS, a high count for there for me. Several were young birds, so I am
assuming the nesting pairs there has continued to increase since I found
them nesting there 6 years ago..The Inlet marshes are still a great place
for up close looks at Seaside Sparrow.

On 7-4, I saw 2 LONG-BILLED CURLEW on Shackleford Banks near the
inlet on a mud flat.

On 7-5- A Carteret County bird for me in Straits was a REDDISH EGRET!!

Good birding to all my old friends!

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN

Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu
Biology Dept., Duke Univ., Box 90340, Durham, NC 27708