young hummer

Dear Carolina Birders,

I recently wrote of the wonderful antics of my young cardinals. Well, I
think I have something to top them. I was walking out to my wildflower
garden to look at butterflies when I heard a hummer. I automatically froze,
as I always do when I hear or see a bird. Suddenly the hummer zoomed right
up to my pink nylon shorts. I've been inspected by hummingbirds before, but
only for an instant. However, this little fellow was determined to get
nectar from my shorts! He (or she) circled completely around me several
times. I could feel the breeze from its wings and see the tiny toungue
probing my shorts -- a ticklish but delightful sensation! Tuckered out from
a fruitless endeavor, it landed on the bark of a pine tree, inches from my
face! I could even see some of the buffy coloration on its head, typical of
an immature rubythroat. Panting and blinking for a moment or so, he finally
regained his strength and flew off in search of better flowers. What a great
experience!

Leah

Leah Campbell
Cornwell, SC
faeriemaiden@hotmail.com

"In order to see birds, it is necessary to become a part of the silence."
Robert Lynd