Parkway Report

Yesterday I birded the Blue Ridge Parkway from Blowing Rock to Asheville
with my main focus being the wonderful wooded swamp areas near Mile Post
298 (just north of Grandfather Mountain).  I have it in my mind that a
migrating Olive-sided Flycatcher would find this area suitable for a rest.
Several hours in the area did not produce an Olive-sided but the place was
very birdy with "tons" of Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green,
Chestnut-sided, Hooded, and Canada warblers.  I stopped to check out
"100's" of occupied tall, dead, snags but it was always just a lone Cedar
Waxwing.  Ugh!!  The Waxwings along with Barn Swallows and Juncos were the
most abundant birds of the day.  Mrs. Walker, Mr. Carlson, and Mr.
Pippen!!!!!! I will be returning to Mile Post 298 repeatedly during the
next two months.  I thought you would want to know.

Keith E. Camburn
4435 Huntington Drive
Gastonia, North Carolina 28056
704 824-0626