Tropicbird?

I was down at Topsail Beach last weekend for a few days. While we were
there, some friends and I took a walk down the beach looking at the
terns, gulls, sanderlings, etc. Once i looked up and saw a largish white
bird (similar to larger terns we saw) with very long tail feathers fly
over. I could not retrieve my binoculars from a friend in time to sight
it in! Looking through Sibley, i cannot find anything but a tropicbird
with tail feathers that long and of that size. Any idea on species, or
other bird it may have been? I am unfamiliar with their occurrence along
the NC coast. I saw no distinctive markings underneath, though i was a
bit sun-blinded.

Thanks for any info!
Dave Hewitt
Raleigh, NC