Henderson County Update

Folks:
        At about 2:15 PM this date I received a call from Ron Selvey
reporting 6 RUDDY TURNSTONES at Lake Osceola in Hendersonville.  I
immediately headed to the lake and the location Ron described.  What
happened next, is truly one of my most bizzaar birding experiences.  As I
came around the turn, focusing on a little spit of land jutting out into the
lake where the birds were last seen, I saw a flash of white just off to my
left.  I looked down to see 6 Ruddy Turnstones feeding in the grass at the
edge of the roadway.  I immediately began to video them when they flushed.
I pulled over to the side of the road to park and when I got out, they had
disappeared.  After several moments, I turned around and the same 6 birds
were walking up the paved road away from the lake.  They were feeding in
some muddy leaf litter on the edge of the road, and then they were just
walking aimlessly around in the middle of the paved road.  I took several
digital photos of the birds, the best one being of them walking across the
double yellow line!
        Directions:  Take Willow Rd. to N. Lakeside Drive.  Follow N.
Lakeside Drive straight, you will be going around the lake
counter-clockwise.  When you cross the small bridge the road curves hard
left, there is a Pine type tree on your left and  a row of short white posts
begin on your left.  The birds were on the grass and on the little spit that
protrudes out into the lake.
        The only other sighting of this species for me in 16 years of
mountain living was 9/21/98 when we had 2 birds on Hooper Lane.
        In other Henderson County birding, myself, Ron Selvey and John
Lindfors had another CONNECTICUT WARBLER in Jackson Park this morning.  This
sighting ended a 40 year drought for John, I'll let him tell the rest!!!
Best regards,
Wayne
Wayne K. Forsythe
Hendersonville, N. C. 28791