Bonner Bridge Replacement

I am suprised that no one has begun a thread on the replacement of the Bonner Bridge over Oregon Inlet. Apparently, the most popular proposal (depends on who you are talking to) is a 17 mile bridge from near the New Coast Guard station to Rodanthe, COMPLETELY bypassing Pea Island.

That may be good for the birds, but how about the birders. It is said that visitors could enter Pea Island from either end, BUT if it relieves the state from maintaining Hwy 12, it will be only a matter of time before there will be no roads. Road building is the lowest priority with the Feds these days.

I can just envision the entire Pea Island being closed off, much as South Pond is now, when the Feds think that birders will disturb birds. How about all of the ocean watching? How about the Old Coast Guard Station? How about the salt flats?

The only saving grace may be that in this very poor economy, no one will be able to come up with double the amount of funds to build North Carolina's version of the "Over Seas Highway"!

What does the birding community of NC think?

Buddy

--
Charles L (Buddy) Garrett, MD
132 Dockside Dr