interesting warbler's song

hi y'all,

this is probably not of interest to the majority of the list, but for those
who do point count surveys on a regular basis, i'm keenly interested in your
comments. while doing field work today at Hobcaw Barony, i heard what
sounded (at first) like a very unpracticed Red-eyed Vireo. the bird was very
close but well-hidden in the vegetation (gotta love a coastal forest, esp.
in a wet year.) to cut to the chase, the bird finally showed itself,
foraging while it sang ~2m from me. it turned out to be a Hooded Warbler.
another Hooded was calling (recognizably) approx. 50m distant.

this is the 4th distinct voice/song variation i've heard from individual
HOWAs in Hobcaw. FWIW, there are a bunch of Hoodeds in the Barony this year.
interesting birds...

;-)

gary phillips
conway, sc
sunset zone 31

"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J.J. Audubon)