Cliff Swallows, Common Loon and Mourning

Hello all,

This morning, Ginger Travis and I were kayaking at Jordan Lake to
complete our second Cliff Swallow nest count for Brian Bockhahn's Cliff
Swallow Nesting Study.  More surprising than what we saw nest counting,
was a Common Loon that we spotted fishing within a few feet of the
riprap on the east side of the Highway 64 bridge on the south side of
the highway - thank goodness we were watching an Osprey perched just
above it on the bank or we'd have entirely missed the loon.  It blended
perfectly with the riprap from our vantage point but was moving enough
to get our attention. The bird was looking underwater for fish but never
dived.  It did catch one fish just at the edge of the bridge.  It
continued past the bridge toward the west but we didn't see it again
after we finished counting swallow nests.

We checked Sibley and it appeared to be a first summer bird because it
had a very mottled back and head but with a light collar at its neck.
The bill was definitely a Common Loon bill and was very light colored -
no mistaking it.  I've checked with Will and the last late report of a
Common Loon was in 1982 at Farrington 6/16 and 7/1 - sadly, he also
suggested it is likely unable to fly.  I also thought it was unusual
that it didn't dive but was only holding its head underwater to hunt.

The Cliff Swallows at the Highway 64 bridge are extremely busy - we
counted 94 nests and many birds flying about bringing food for their
nestlings.  Two weeks ago, this site was relatively quiet but the
Ebenezer Bridge and the dam had active nests.  Today, both of those
sites were void of nearly all activity.  Only two birds were seen at the
dam and none of the nests appeared to have nestlings.  It was
interesting to see this difference in timing for relatively close
locations.

Our other surprise at Jordan was a pair of Northern Bobwhite that darted
across the road just as we turned into the headquarters drive from
Highway 64 - not a bad way to spend a hot, humid Friday morning.

At home, I'm having fun watching a Mourning Dove pair with their nest in
a climbing rose bush on my garage.  They've followed all the rules so
far -  Mom sat on the nest site and Dad landed on her back with nest
material and she would tuck it in.  Since they began, I've only seen
them off the nest for a very few minutes so I have no idea how many eggs
they're incubating.  All this despite the garage vibrating with the
electric door opener (they must think NC is very earthquake prone) and
I'm regularly in and out the door just below the nest.  From my
calculations, there should be babies early next week.

Have a great weekend and good birding,

Lena

Lena Gallitano
Raleigh, NC