NorthernGannet_LitchfieldBeach,SC

While vacationing at Litchfield Beach with my sister Ann Shahid (Beidler
Forest), we spotted a Northern Gannet in the surf while we were swimming.  We
followed it down the beach as it floated toward Huntington Beach State Park.  It
was comfortable floating close to swimmers, even tucking its head for a nap.
Occasionally it lifted out of the water briefly to show mottling in the wings
so a second year bird is our guess.

A trip to the Education Center at Huntington Beach was a pleasant surprise.
The interactive displays and aquariums were really well done.  Outside at the
feeders we saw a Ground Dove and just beyond it in dense shade was a Mourning
Dove sitting on a nest.  It left the nest briefly revealing its eggs.

Cherrie Sneed

5634 Church Flats Rd.
Meggett, SC 29449
snowbirdspring@aol.com
sneedwd@aol.com

[Message forwarded 7/5/03 by carolinabirds-owner -- original bounced
because it was html-encoded.  AOL makes it difficult to send standard
plain-text e-mail messages, but instructions are here:
http://www.expita.com/nomime.html#aol6]