Redstarts Bathe in Fountain

During the bluster from Floyd, which has been rainless so far in our
area, at least two redstarts decided to bathe in the fountain on our
deck. They chose the top level, a shallow saucer on the deck rail with
water flowing over flat rocks and small pebbles.

First, a very skittish male inspected it from several angles, but did not
get in. Then, he and a female chased each other around the trees in the
yard. In a few minutes, the female tested the water, then finally got all
the way in. While she enjoyed a lengthy bath, the male joined her in the
saucer. They made quite a splash of water and color!

Several times in the afternoon, individual female and male redstarts
bathed, perhaps mostly the same ones. One skittish female came which
seemed to lack the confidence of the first one.

We hope that everyone gets through the hurricane ok.

Buren and Luanne Blankenship
Pendleton, SC (between Clemson and Anderson)
blblank@carol.net