Today at the Mt. Pisgah Hawkwatch...9/26/99

Today's weather began to close in a bit, but a few more birds were
moving through ahead of the rain.  The forecast indicates that some
much-needed rain will fall for the next few days, and that we'll clear
out again by next weekend.
If so, we'll probably see the last of the big flocks of Broad-wings next
weekend, so if you haven't seen any yet this year, time's running out.

Today's Total:
Hours -- 5
Broad-winged Hawk -- 132

A pretty low-diverstiy kind of day.  As usual, the biggest groups of
Broad-wings moved through between 4 and 6 pm.

We were treated to some great looks at the local Red-tailed Hawks kiting
nearly overhead, and a troupe of Turkey Vultures seemed intent on
shading us from the afternoon sun.  Several Ravens put on their usual
aerobatic displays.

Butterflies:  A few Monarchs, no more than 100 for the entire period.  I
don't recall seeing any others.

Cheers,

Bill Sanderson
Asheville, NC