crossbills

after josh rose's post, weather permitting, i knew i had to make another
try for the crossbills.  when i arrived, around noon, three other cars
were already there with people sitting on tree trunks.  several people
were just below the rise.  sure enough, they were in the pines, although
somewhat far back.  eventually flew, making several circles and landed
nearly in front of the ever growing group of birders.  moved among the
pines on both sides of the "path".  were cooperative enough for good
looks thru scopes.  lighting was poor but the males were still
noticeable.  finally gave up when the rains came.  josh's post evidently
gave others the incentive and we were all rewarded for our efforts.

lee van malssen
northern chatham cty