Roosting, Carolina Wren, Downy WP

Hi all,
A week ago, we hung a large old hornets' nest out on our front porch
under the covered overhang.  The next day the floor was covered with
little bits of "paper" , and I was surprised that the nest would dry-rot
so fast.  Soon I realized that two carolina wrens had been pecking away
at the hornets' nest, but not at random.  They hollowed out a space and
have used it every night since for roosting.  Perhaps initially, they
were searching for food or just being curious.

I also have a bluebird -type nest box (~5ft off the ground) that is used
regularly by a downy woodpecker for roosting.

Will Rowland
Cary, NC