Mixed emotions

Greetings...
    With the newly fallen snow, my feeders were crowded this morning. The
usual patrons, plus a lone siskin, 3 or 4 purple finches, a red-breasted
nuthatch, a dozen or so goldfinches and on the fringes of the feeding area,
a swamp sparrow. Suddenly, the crowd exploded in panic and I saw a kestrel
on the ground under the platform feeder, wings and tail spread. In a moment,
it flew off with one of the small birds dangling down. It happened so
suddenly, I didn't react fast enough to identify the kestrel's breakfast.
Shortly after that event, two bald eagles, an adult and an immature bird
flew by headed west along the north shore of the Pamlico River. These two
birds have been seen regularly in the area for three or four weeks.

John Register
Washington, NC
register@tri-countynet.net