P-s FLYCATCHER still at Jordan L.

Birders,

This morning (Friday 21 Jan) at 8 a.m., Lex Glover and I relocated the
Pacific-slope Flycatcher in the exact same place where it's been all week
(NE corner of the intersection of Big Woods Rd. and the gravel Public
Fishing Area access Rd.).  After initially spotting the bird, it
disappeared back into the woods for about 20 minutes, and then we found
it again as we were heading back toward our cars.  We heard the bird sing
once (impressively loud).  We watched it hop around in the low
vegetation, and then we let out a simultaneous gasp as the bird suddenly
flew across Big Woods Rd. right in front of a large truck going at least
60 mph!  We both thought the bird was about to become a museum specimen
from the grill of the truck, but it managed to make it across (seemingly
tumbling in the air from the vortex of the passing vehicle) and resume
foraging on the west side of Big Woods Rd.

A couple of hours later, after not seeing any crossbills at either of the
reported locations around Jordan Lake, we encountered Lynn Barber and Dan
Lebbin and returned to the flycatcher location as you've already read
about in Dan's account earlier.

Let's hope this bird continues to find nice juicy crickets through the
forecasted wintry weather of the weekend.

Jeff Pippen   	 				 jspippen@duke.edu
Botany Dept. Box 90342
Duke University, Durham, NC  27708		PH: (919) 660-7278