Re: On the way to Beaufort, water in the snow, and obnoxious finches

Dear CBC Birders,
   The Orangeburg Sod Farms (I-26, take hwy 301 exit) is good in winter
for lapland Longspurs and Horned Larks. There might be a Peregrine there. I
haven't
been there yet this winter. Be sure and stay on the roads, which can be very
treacherous when very wet. Ask permission to bird if the office is open, you
can bird if they are closed. Stay off the grass and the folks will let us
keep coming.
   On another issue, the Eurasian Collared-Dove continues to spread
in SC: I saw one on Hester Street in the Northeastern part of Charleston last
week,
and the first one ever at Lieber Correctional Institution in Dorchester County
(about 65 miles inland) last Monday. They are rapidly approaching the status
of a "ho-hum" bird.
Steve Compton
Raven23302@aol.com
Your Bear Island GMA trip leader on Saturday