boone redpoll

C.birders,
     Sorry for the blank message.  So hear are more details on the common
redpoll.  I hope ths message answers all the questions.
     I identified this bird as a female.  She was feeding on black oil
sunflower with goldfinches, purple finches, c. chickadeess, t. titmice,
white-breasted nuthatches, dark-eyedjuncos and mourning dove.  That is the
only seed that I use.
  I spotted her at my farthest feeder with an obstructed view of her head.
The streaked flanks and lack of color led me to believe that this was a song
sparrow.  This drew my attention, because I normally dont get songs.  Then
at about the same time that I noticed too much fork in the tail for a
sparrow, she flushed to a nearby chestnut shoot.  In seconds she returned to
a closer feeder (about 9 ft. from me) revealing no spot in the center of the
breast, and most importantly, a red cap.  So certainly not a song sparrow!
The only other species that I can think of that a common redpoll would be
confused with here at this time of year are purple and house finches.  This
bird had zero coloration on the rump/uppertail coverts nor breast.  She hung
out for approximately 4-5 minutes.
     I am rarely at home after the sun rises. I just keep the feeders full.
Friday mornig will be my next chance to watch the feeders, and I will with
camera.  I'll send a message after that.
     As for any visitors, I would love to supply sightings for everyone, BUT
my driveway is a long, steep, north slope, snow/ice packed disaster right
now.  Its only possibly passible with 4*4, chains and luck.  I would want to
verify that this bird is actually hanging out, and I would want the weather
(path) to clear some before I allowed any one to drive any distance check it
out.
     I will be in touch.
                              Cheers,
                               Jason Bulluck

Humanity is exalted not because we are so far above other living creatures,
but because knowing them well elevates the very concept of life.    Edward
O. Wilson