lapland longspurs in henderson county

Bill Green and I saw as many as 6 Lapland Longspurs this morning with a
flock of American Pipits, at Hooper Lane and Jeffries Road in Henderson
County.  We got three in the scope at one time.

While we were there, the birds spent most of their time in a field on the
west side of Hooper Lane that has recently been fertilized with liquid
manure.  A breeze carried most of the smell away from us, fortunately.

The site is a mile or two east of the Asheville airport, west of I-26.  My
copy of the DeLorme N.C. atlas doesn't show Jeffries by name, but it's at
the north end of Hooper Lane.

Len Pardue, Asheville, NC

Len Pardue