Waterfowl and First Purple Martin

We went to the lower end of Lake Hickory this afternoon and had pretty good
luck.  At Dusty Ridge access there were 30 Greater Scaup and 10 Lesser Scaup
along with many gulls and grebes.  At Oxford access we had 2 Canvasbacks, 1
Redhead, 2 Bufflehead, 6 Greater Scaup, 2 Horned Grebes , 7 Canada Geese,
and several THOUSAND Gulls, both Ring-billed and Bonaparte's.  The gulls
roost here at night.
   We also got word today that a lone Purple Martin has already shown up at
some nesting gourds in the Mountain View section of Hickory.  The bird
showed up Saturday Morning and has been there since.  This is several weeks
early for our area.

Dwayne & Lori Martin
Foothills Bird Club
Claremont, NC