Pileated Questions

Our resident Pileateds have been pretty loud lately and I was
wondering why.  Nearby there has been some clear cutting of mixed 40
year old woods to make way for houses and we were wondering if their
nesting hole was taken down in the process.  So I have some
questions.

Is their noisiness releated to Spring in the Air (Valentines Day
etc.)?

Are they beginning to nest now or just checking out possible places?

Is it too late to put up a box or boxes for their consideration?

We have been here for 5 months and have not seen any other woodpecker
species in our wooded area.   We have plenty of dead (snags) and
dying trees that could be great food sources but we only have
Pileated and Brown Creepers.  Are the Pileated that territorial of is
it coincidence?

Tim Lewis
Weaverville (Buncombe Co., NC)