New Hope Audubon hike this Sat.

I will be leading a New Hope Audubon field trip walk this Saturday, Feb.
19. The meeting place is the Wildlife Observation Area parking lot just
off NC 751 -- 8:30 am. Reservations are not needed; just show up!

The purpose of the field trip (perhaps lasting 3-3.5 hours) is to hike
through some of the forests at Jordan Lake that most folks might not be
familiar with. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers owns over 30,000 acres
of land (not counting the lake) at Jordan Lake.  I surveyed these lands
in 1998 looking for rare species and significant natural communities.  I
found several areas on the west side of the lake, south of US 64, that
should be of interest to birders, hikers, etc.

The hike will be in trail-less areas, and in moderate topography, so
wear hiking boots instead of sneakers. We will be walking mainly through
upland hardwood forests, so the walking should be easy unless we have to
pick our way around downed trees from Hurricane Fran.  Bring your
binoculars, as we will certainly be identifying birds along the way! You
may want to bring a fanny pack with a drink or snack.  We will discuss
trails (and lack thereof), natural communities, potential uses of the
lands, etc., while we are there. The trip will focus more on identifying
trees, other plants, natural communities, etc., but we will ID any
animal we see and hear.

If there are any rare birds around Jordan Lake, we can look for them
after the woodland walk is finished.  I'd hate not to scope out parts of
the lake while I'm in the vicinity!

--
Harry E. LeGrand, Jr.
N.C. Natural Heritage Program